Sunday, December 11, 2011

Whew! Christmas Shows are Done

I know. I know.  My wife always tells me that cakes are done and I complete everything else.  But, it's been a long year that started in Florida, went through Georgia to Ohio and Michigan.  Then to the west coast for shows in California, Oregon, and Washington.  Just when I think that I get a little bit of rest, I've got at least three applications for next year that are due to turn in in the next five weeks.  Oh, an artist's work is never done.

For the past three weeks, I've been in Purdy and Gig Harbor, Washington, and we just finished at the Salem Holiday Market in Salem, Oregon.  Here's a little about each of the shows.

Winterfest in Purdy, Washington
Purdy is about 15-20 minutes north of Tacoma, Washington across the Narrows bridge.  For the history buffs, this was the third longest suspension bridge until November 7, 1940 when a gale wind came along and started a chain reaction that started the bridge bucking like a bronk and ended up falling into Puget Sound.  Here's a great video of the event on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

The show is held at Peninsula High School and the stuff does a great job putting this charity event on. Great organization, mostly high-quality work and a loyal following.


Tidefest in Gig Harbor, Washington
Gig Harbor is the first city across the narrows bridge coming from Tacoma.  It's a beautiful setting and man what a great show!  This one is organized better than any show that I've ever been to.  And, that's just the start.  They treat artists like kings and queens.  It starts with coffee, cookies, vegies, and such about every 20-30 minutes during the show.  And the Sunday morning breakfast was incredible.  Never have I felt so wanted at a show.  Yes it was a great show too.  Well attended by the community and they really support the arts!  Both  this and Winterfest have the added bonus that I get to stay at my sun's home in Tacoma and we get to enjoy some great times together.

Salem Saturday Market Holiday Show
Salem, Oregon is the state capital and the Saturday Market holds their annual holiday show at the Ameriplex building at the Oregon state fairgrounds.  The show is well organized and attended with brisk sales on Saturday.  Sunday was more for a day for Mackie and I to get out and find gifts for our crowd.  Salem is also great because it's only an hour south from our home which allows us to spend time at home.

Well now I'm off to start seriously thinking about 2012.


No comments: